Friday, June 28, 2013

Our Big, Fat Oklahoma Wedding Review

Well, Mark and I have been living in wedded bliss for over three months now. Not much has changed, since we lived in sin for almost a year prior to our wedding (see: Baby Maska). Hehe. 

But I can honestly say it's been great. I love being married. I love having my own little family. But, ya'll, I miss wedding planning and being engaged. I NEVER thought I would say that, ever.  I had a very stressful, draining job during my engagement which made the wedding planning process not enjoyable for me. My amazing mom was my saving grace during the whole wedding planning process. She was my wedding planner, and she did a kick ass job, if I do say so myself. I had a vision. My momma took it and ran with it. I'm lucky I have a hip and trendy momma who totally gets bling and sparkles.

Here were my must-haves: Pink shoes, ostrich feather centerpieces, ombre cake, uplighting, a photo booth, and good food. Oh..and my groom.

Venue: Picking a venue was the most difficult part for us me. I loved the idea of a golf course wedding...but the golf clubs around here were either A. Slathered in floral wallpaper where the reception would be held. B. Had an outrageous price tag attached to it. or C. Smelled like old people and cigars. After touring several, I realized that this was NOT for us. It wasn't my "vision". We HAD to have a place where we could have the ceremony and reception in the same place since most of our wedding guests were so graciously attending from out of town. After extinguishing many ball rooms, conference centers, etc, I was feeling so frustrated. My mom called one more place...the Will Rogers Theatre. I looked at pictures on their website and was not impressed, but we decided to tour it anyways. Guys. We fell in looooooooooooooooooooooove. Plus, it was right down the street from my old favorite drinking establishment beautiful scenery and nightlife!

How cool is that marquee in the background that says "congrats Mark and Jordan"?

They had my uplighting (fo' free). They had space for a ceremony (down those stairs) They had my chair covers and sashes for a minimal rental cost, and they had fan.freaking.tastic food! HOLLA.  Sold.

Dress: I hated dress shopping. God blessed me with a big ass rib cage similar to Michael Phelps'. This has always made any sort of dress shopping difficult and frustrating. Which in turn, causes tantrums and tears and "why am I so f*cking fat" questions. I dreaded "saying yes" to the dress. I put off dress shopping until my mom said "yo...you know some dresses take 6 months to come in, right?" So off we went on Labor Day weekend to find me a dress. I had ideas of dresses I liked saved onto my phone, mostly Maggie Sotteros. I knew I wanted a fit and flare. Not a poofy ballgown. Aaaand a sweetheart neckline. I made three bridal appointments in town for that Saturday. I was going to find the dress and I wasn't going to stop until I found it. 

The first shop I went to...we'll call it "B"...SUCKED. Made me feel like total shizz. I'm just going to be honest here...at my thinnest and hottest, when I worked out 6 days a week and starved myself. I was still a size 7/8 due to my body frame and how broad I am. At the time of dress shopping, I was a 9/10 or could potentially squeeze into an 8 at Express. Everyone online said that dresses usually run small, and I definitely found that out at "B". They were stuffing my big ass into 6's. Obviously, the dresses looked terrible on me, made me feel terrible, and just really emotionally wore me out. WHY...WHY? Why squeeze a 10 into a 6 and leave a big gaping space in the back to where the bride can't even get a good look at herself without wanting to burst into tears. I don't know if they had larger sample sizes or not, but I bounced....and went and got a Cheeseburger with my mom before the next appointment. :)

The next shop, we will call "P". I got a good vibe when I walked into the store. My consultant greeted me and was so super sweet. I told her my vision and I also picked a few that I had seen on the rack (IN MY SIZE!). This is where I realized that I was not in the type of shape I wanted to be in to wear a fit and flare dress. So, I did what I said I wouldn't do...I said "can I try this one on?" A fluffy, poofy ballgown.
....And that was it.

 This is when I was getting dressed on my wedding day and I was like "oh shiiiiiiiiit I hope this fits." I was 17 weeks pregnant for the wedding and was just starting to have a little bump. I don't think I breathed the whole time she laced me up.
 See how poofy? Totally not what I wanted, but it's what balanced out my top half. And it had blang blang, girl.



Cake: Mmmmm cake. We went with Rosebeary's Designs in Baking and couldn't have been happier. She created the most beautiful ombre buttercream cake...and the most perfect Denver Broncos cake for Marky.

 My mom DIY'd this bling cake stand for me. I loved it! 

The only disappointing thing about our cakes? We got ONE bite. WTF. I could have easily put away three pieces...but...we got too busy mingling and dancing, and then Mark went up my dress to get my garter, and then the night was pretty much over. Bummer.

Centerpieces:  I fell in love with ostrich feathers the moment I saw them. Then, my mom told me that they offered illuminated vases. Sign me up. So, we got my feathers!

Flowers: I wanted simple, but blingy and pink. Our florist,  Madelines Flower Shop, did an excellent job!
 Shoes:  I got my girls' shoes from Nine West. My mom handled all that, but the delivery was super fast! And they looked great in pictures.

Lighting:  We used IES (Innovative Event Solutions) for our LED trees for the stage. The stage was zzzzzz boring. So I wanted to add a "pop" of something. So at a bridal show, I saw these trees and fell in love.

I've probably bored you enough, but I hope I can help some other OKC bride if she ever needs assistance with vendors...

Other vendors:
DJ- BTP Productions (not recommended)
Photography: Jessica Pearl Photography
Cookie Favors: Uptown Grocery
Linens: The French Tulip
Photobooth: 4 Takes Photobooth

Now for some pictures:
 Bridesmaid's shoes.
Signing my freedom away :).
 Bridal party dancing.

 Off-the-market- license
 Our photo matte.
 First dance.
 FEATHERS.
 Cookie favors.
 Beautiful bridal party.
 Photobooth. A Groupon deal! High five!






Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I attended one of the wedding venues in Oklahoma and it was really fun. It is definitely one of the greatest venues available for weddings. That’s a beautiful dress by the way. I’m also looking for a dress like this for my wedding next year.

    ReplyDelete